The brief Tutorials below will help guide you through the key features of ACS ChemWorx. To learn more about features not covered in the Tutorials below or see additional screenshots of the process, download the User Guide.
Download User Guide
Expand and close to see all subtopics, and jump to the tutorial of interest:
Import and Organize Your References
Import Existing Reference Libraries
- Open the ACS ChemWorx Desktop app, and go to the ACS ChemWorx menu in the upper left.
- Select Import Wizard. In the pop up, select the source you would like to import references from.
- When the information is imported, the citation information (title, author, journal name, etc.) will be populated when available.
Import New References from Across the Web
- To import an article of interest, search engine such as Google Scholar or another supported site, install the Web Importer on your Bookmarks Bar.
- Go to Library Tools in your Web Library. (Drag and drop the Import to ACS ChemWorx button to your bookmarks bar.)
- Click Import to ACS ChemWorx on your bookmarks bar. A sidebar will appear displaying the references detected on the page.
- Check off the references you would like to import, and click Add to ACS ChemWorx. The references will be added to your ACS ChemWorx Library.
- Use the Sync button to refresh your Library and see the new reference.
Manually Add a Reference
- In the Desktop app, go to the ACS ChemWorx dropdown, and select New > Publication.
- In the window that appears to the right, use the top dropdown select the type of publication you want to add.
- Fill out the fields to complete the reference.
- Note: If you want to add a reference that has a DOI (Digital Object Identifier), enter that into the DOI field, and select the magnifying glass. ACS ChemWorx will look for the article and auto fill the fields.
Populate Folders Automatically with Smart Folders
- Go to your Library, and select Smart Folders.
- Select Create a new Smart Folder.
- Name your Smart Folder, and enter the criteria for your filter, including keyword, journal title, author, and other terms. Then hit Create.
- To view your Smart Folder, expand Smart Folders and find your folder. (A folder will be created regardless of whether or not any reference in your Library match your criteria.)
- Annotate a PDF in your Desktop Library by double-clicking on the file icon in the reference listing. (You will need to fetch or attach the PDFs if no icon is displayed.)
- The ACS ChemWorx Reader will open equipped with annotation tools, such as highlighting, commenting and drawing.
- Select Sync to save your annotations as you go along.
Access Your Library Anywhere
Fetch PDFs Automatically
- Use the ACS ChemWorx Desktop app to fetch PDFs automatically so that they will be accessible from anywhere on your Web, Desktop and Mobile apps.
- Check off the articles for which you would like to fetch PDFs.
- Select the Fetch PDFs from the web button. ACS ChemWorx will attempt to retrieve the PDFs for articles in subscribed journals and resources.
- If a PDF has been fetched, a file icon will be displayed alongside the reference.
Attach PDFs Manually
- Click on the reference in your Library, and select the Files button.
- Choose Attach files.
- A window will pop up so you can select the file(s), such as the PDF or supporting information, you want to attach.
Use the Desktop App to Access Articles Offline
- View PDFs of your articles offline in the ACS ChemWorx Desktop app by downloading articles for offline reading.
- First, you will need to fetch the PDFs from the web.
- Then, go to the ACS ChemWorx profile dropdown, select Settings, and go to the File Sync tab.
- Select the button Download all files on this computer. This will make all your PDFs available when you work offline.
- When you open the Desktop app to read your articles offline, select Cancel when prompted to log in.
Cite Papers and Generate Bibliographies
Insert Citations and Generate Bibliographies
- Ensure you have the ACS ChemWorx Desktop app open.
- If you have not already, install the ACS ChemWorx plugin for Word or OpenOffice from the ACS ChemWorx dropdown menu.
- Put the cursor in the location where you would like to insert a citation, and select Insert Citation from the ACS ChemWorx menu in your word processor.
- To generate the bibliography, put the cursor in the location you want it to display. Go to the ACS ChemWorx menu in your word processor, and select Insert Bibliography.
- To add new citations after generating the bibliography, insert the new citation like you would normally. Then go to the ACS ChemWorx menu, and select Refresh. Then the bibliography will be reformatted.
Update Bibliographies Collaboratively
- To transfer bilbiographies between operating systems, change the Style to Compatibility Mode.
- This can be done by going to the ACS ChemWorx menu, selecting Style, and Compatibility Mode.
- When you're ready to complete the document, change Style to the final citation style and the citations and bibliography will be formatted accordingly.
Change Citation Styles
- To change the citation style, go to the ACS ChemWorx menu in your word processor and select Style. A menu will display a selection of citation styles. (The citation style options can be selected in the Desktop app.)
- Select the citation style you would like to use. You can add additional styles in the Desktop app.
Add Citation Styles
- Go to the ACS ChemWorx dropdown on the Desktop app.
- Select Citation Styles.
- In the window on the right search for your desired style. Select your desired style and use the arrow to add it to your options.
- At the bottom, you can select the style you use most frequently as the default.
Discover the Latest Research
Set Up Your RSS Reader
- Go to the Publishing Center. Under Customize Display, ensure that My RSS Feeds is selected.
- In the My RSS Feeds app, click Create a new feed group or select the gear on one of the default feed groups.
- There you can opt to add ACS journal article, CAS Section, C&EN, ACS Publications saved search or other feeds to your group.
- Select the feed group to review all your RSS feed entries.
Track Article-Level Metrics
Track Citations to ACS Articles
- Go to the Publishing Center. Under Customize Display, ensure that Citation Tracker is selected.
- In the Citation Tracker app, select Track a New Article.
- Input the DOI or citation information for the ACS article you would like to track.
- Under each article, you'll find the number of citations to the article.
- To view the citing references, select View in SciFinder® (subscription required).
View ACS Article Downloads by Country
- Go to the Publishing Center. Under Customize Display, ensure that Article Downloads by Country is selected.
- In the Article Downloads by Country app, enter the DOI of the ACS article of your interest, and select Search.
- The map will display download counts when you hover over a country.